If you drink alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, even in moderate amounts, you may be at risk for a condition called alcohol-related liver disease, also known as alcoholic liver disease.
In its early stages, liver damage caused by alcohol-related liver disease may actually be reversed. But as chronic drinking persists and the disease progresses, complications and permanent liver damage may occur.
The Temple Alcohol-Related Liver Disease Program helps you overcome the effects of alcoholic liver disease. We evaluate all patients — regardless of drinking history — with no period of stopping drinking alcohol (abstinence) required.
How We Support You to Overcome the Effects
Not everyone who drinks develops this disease. In fact, alcoholic liver disease is the result of many different risk factors, including metabolic, family history, the environment and your immune system. Successful treatment requires strong social support.
We are your partner in making positive life modifications. Our Alcohol-Related Liver Disease Program includes:
- Comprehensive evaluation of all patients, regardless of drinking history
- Achievable treatment plans tailored to your lifestyle
- Support programs, including a dietitian or nutritionist and access to a psychologist in-person or online
- Reassurance that you have an entire team of medical specialists on your side, should you need it
Meeting Our Experienced Team
If not treated, alcoholic liver disease can advance to different stages, including fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis, or end-stage liver disease. Our team has the experience to know when it’s time to consider more advanced treatments and provide you with the best care.
When you make an appointment, you will meet with:
- Hepatologists who focus on your clinical care
- Behavior specialists, psychologists and nutritionists who help you reframe your approach to life
If your condition advances to end-stage liver disease, you may require a liver transplant. Your hepatologist will work closely with the Liver Transplant team that offers the most advanced techniques to help you feel well again.
Types of Alcoholic Liver Disease We Treat
- Alcohol use disorder
- Alcoholic fatty liver
- Alcoholic hepatitis
- Alcoholic cirrhosis
Treatments We Offer
The best candidates for alcoholic liver disease treatment are those who show motivation and commitment to make healthy, sustainable lifestyle changes. We’ll support you with the most advanced treatments available, including:
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Medication, including disulfiram, naltrexone, acamprosate
- Nutritional support
- Liver transplant
Make an appointment with our team today. You can request an appointment online or call 800-TEMPLE-MED (800-836-7536).